Monday, February 09, 2009

Free software isn't freeware: why Linux and FOSS have a higher standard

Below is an interesting article I just ran across. After some contemplation, it is not difficult to imagine why "the masses" are hesitant to experience FOSS. I am of the opinion that one reason for this hesitation is associated with the fact that people do not like change. However, we all know that the only thing constant in the universe is change. Another reason for shying away from FOSS is that a lot of folks out there are just plain lazy. They do not want to work for/at anything, no matter the potential benefits. However, I think there are those of us out there who realize that anything good is worth working for. I recall my first experience with Linux back in 1999. It took me at least two weeks to get a GUI up and running, but in the end I was better off for my efforts. Looking back in time and comparing what we had to contend with, and comparing it with today's modern distributions, we can easily see that we have come a long way in a very short period of time. Please do not get me wrong. These aforementioned personal characteristics are not evident in all people.
by David M Williams

Sunday, 08 February 2009

Microsoft's recent survey proclaimed nearly half the population believe it is ok to use pirated software for personal use. This diminishes the argument by Linux advocates that you can use their operating system without any cost. Yet, you can't confuse free as in cost with free as in freedom. Here's what FOSS really means.
(read more...)

And with that, I am off to see the wizard...

No comments:

Post a Comment